Step one is to be informed and keep abreast of the latest news on the impending storm:
(Sorry for the flash on the computer screen... I took about five photos before I decided this was acceptable because it wasn't going to get any better.)
You can sort of see us on the edge of the flash. Most of the maps have had Norfolk labeled on them, but this one didn't. Still, we're right above "Cape" in "Cape Hatteras" on this map. We're just barely inside the area for ACTION! We've been in and out of the "freak out and buy ALL THE WATER" area all day, so it's hard to know what to expect.
CNU (Newport News) and ODU (Norfolk) and NSU (also Norfolk) have all cancelled classes for Monday. In fact, I know NSU is closed tomorrow, too. As in, complete campus lockdown. (Norfolk floods really badly so they tend to make the closing decision earlier than anything in VB.)
TCC (where I work) has campuses in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and another smaller one in downtown Portsmouth. We tend to make closing decisions pretty late, so I don't know when I'll find out whether I'm working on Monday...
Step two of storm preparation comes tomorrow!